Please read our Frequently Asked Questions below for more information on our Car Rental service.
If you require further information, please feel free to Contact us.
How old are the cars?
Nissan Tiida (4 door hatch) 2010
Holden Barina (4 door hatch) 2014
Mitsubishi Colt (4 door hatch) 2007
Toyota Avalon (4 door Sedan) 2003
Nissan Patrol (7 seat 4wd) 2010
Can we go into the Francois Peron National Park?
NO, we do not offer any off-road Vehicles. If you would like to see the National Park, please book a local tour guide or contact Wicked Camper.
Can you go off road?
No, our vehicles are not permitted to go on unsealed roads. Penalty fees will apply if hire conditions are not met.
Can we do a one way drop off?
Shark Bay Car Hire can offer one-way hires subject to availability. There is a minimum 7 day hire and must be booked more than a month in advance. This service is not offered during school holiday periods.
One way drop off can be available from:
- Shark Bay – Perth $1000/$1500
- Shark Bay – Geraldton $690/$1000
- Shark Bay – Carnarvon $690/$1000
Shark Bay Car Hire is a small-town car hire company, we do not have depots anywhere else in WA therefore one-way car hires do involve high costs for us to retrieve our vehicle’s and tend to be done on a non for profit basis. These costs must cover domestic flights, travel time, wages, fuel, wear & tear, accommodation.
These hires must be paid in full to confirm the booking and are non-refundable.
All hires going pass the Overlander road house will be required to provide SBCH with a minimum of a $1500 pre authorisation.
Can you Provide Children’s car seats?
No, unfortunately due to legal advice and liability restrictions, we do not supply Children’s Car Seats.
Do they have anchor point?
Most of our vehicle have anchor points, however, if you do require one please let us know in advance so we can assist with this.
Do your vehicles have air conditioning?
Yes, all our vehicles have air conditioning.
Which cars are automatic?
- Nissan Tiida
- Toyota Avalon
Do I need an Australian driving license to drive in Australia?
A current and full motor vehicle driver’s license is required and must be produced upon vehicle collection. Should a foreign license be in a language other than English, it must be accompanied by an accredited English translation.
The translation must be provided by an authorised translation service or a diplomatic representative at a high commission, embassy or consulate, or the authority that issued your overseas license (an International Driving Permit may be acceptable as a translation if in English).
How old do I need to be to drive? Is there a maximum age?
- To drive our 2WD vehicles you must be 21 years of age or over
- To drive our 4WD vehicles you must be 25 years of age or over
- There is no maximum age if you have a valid driver’s license.
What is the minimum car hire period?
We apply minimum hire periods during School and public holidays:
- Minimum booking of 3 Days is required during all peak periods
- Easter is 4 days minimum
- Christmas is 5 days minimum
Please note an extra charge of $25 will apply for drop off and pickups on public holidays.
Do I have to pay a deposit for my booking?
Yes, your car hire is not secure without a 30% deposit.
How do I secure my hire – pay the hire/deposit?
- We accept Visa or Master Credit cards over the phone during WA office hours.
- A Direct Deposit into our account is also encouraged if familiar with Australia Internet banking OR International banking (Fees apply for an international bank transfer)
- You can ‘PAY NOW” on your invoice, please note a 2.9% surcharge applies for this service
- A customer can also email credit card details over an email; however, this is not encouraged.
What Type of credit cards are accepted?
Visa or Master Cards only.
What are your – Hire cancellation, refund and alteration policies?
- Cancellations under 30 days prior to pick up attract non-refundable 100% of the deposit.
- Cancellations 30+ days prior to pick up – 50% of the deposit will be refunded.
- If cancelled on the day of pick up or no show, the customer is liable for the balance due of hire.
- Changes to hire dates are subject to availability.
- If a hire is altered twice, then cancelled, no deposit is refunded.
- One-way relocation hires are the exception and non-refundable.
- If your pre-authorisation is not approved on collection of your vehicle you will still be charged the full hire amount.
- If your travel plans are interrupted by COVID-19, you will be offered a credit note for your hire to use over a 24 months period.
Can I get a refund for dropping off my hired vehicle a day early?
No, once the hire has commenced there is no refund for early drop off.
Can I book online?
No, Shark Bay Car Hire deals directly with each customer upon confirmation of a booking.
When is the final balance due and how can I pay this?
The balance is due upon pick up of your vehicle, unless you wish to pay in advance. No hire will commence without full payment being made.
Are there any other hidden fees or charges?
No, not upon pick up unless it is a public holiday. All extra charges are known to the customer before pick up.
Should the vehicle be returned over its kms allowance, not fully fuelled or damaged, extra charges will apply at the end of hire to the card provide.
How much is the excess?
The excess is $3500 for all vehicles apart from the Nissan Patrol which is $5000 and is charged to the Bond in the event of a claim. This can be reduced by taking liability reduction cover at the time of hire.
Do you offer any insurance Reductions?
|What is covered||Basic Cover 2wd||Basic Cover 4wd||Liability Reduction 2wd $18.50 per day||Liability Reduction 4wd $29.50 per day|
|Car Excess||Up to $3500||Up to $5000||Up to $1500||Up to $2000|
|Windscreen Replacement charges||Full replacement $700||Full replacement $700||No reduction options||No reduction option|
Do you cover windscreen damage?
No unfortunately we do not cover windscreen.
What happens if the vehicle is damaged?
Please note SBCH has one week from the end of your hire date to get back to you regarding any damage to the vehicle. If damage is found charges will be taken from the provided credit card.
Damage happens, we ask that you inform us of this during or at the end of your hire.
At the start of every hire a video will be taken of the vehicle and we welcome you to do the same.
At the end of hire any damage that has occurred will be compared against the original video.
If damage is found SBCH will capture your excess amount from the card provided at the time of hire, we will then organise a quote for repairs and email you with your damage report.
Are there any extra charges?
- Public Holiday Pick-up: $25
- Public Holiday Drop off: $25
- International Bank Transfer depending on the country and amount ($10-$20)
- Excess kms: 30 cents per km 2wd / 35 cents per km 4wd
- Extra cleaning charges: $100/hour (only if vehicle is not up to standard upon drop off)
- Tyre charge: if you go on a restricted road and damage a tyre, you are to replace the tyre with the identical brand.
- Key recovery: $250, plus km charge.
- One-way fees: depends on location of drop off
How many kms am I entitled to?
You are allocated 100kms per day free. Excess kilometers charged at 30cent per kms 2wd / 35 cents per kms for 4wds. Extra charges will be taken at the end of hire.
Can I drive at night?
No, our liability waiver does not cover driving between sunrise to sunset outside of the city (or town) limits and we strongly advise to plan your arrival at your destination by 5pm and depart after 7.30am.
This is due to natural wildlife on the roads (kangaroos become active late afternoon and through the night)
Are there any restrictions on where I can drive?
- Vehicles are not permitted past the Overlander Road House without written consent from SBCH.
- Vehicles are not permitted on the Uselees Loop road under any circumstances.
- Vehicles including our 4wd are not permitted to enter the Francis Peron National Park or to be taken on unsealed roads.
- Beach driving is not permitted.
- We ask that due to wild life in our remote area you do not drive any of our vehicles on open country roads from dusk till dawn. Driving within town limits is acceptable.
Failing to adhere to the above conditions will void any excess reductions.
unsealed road – a road not sealed with a hard material such as a tar, bitumen or concrete).
Off road conditions include, but are not limited to fire trails, beaches, sands, tracks, fields, and paddocks.
The following areas are strictly off limits for all vehicles:
- Little Lagoon Beach
- Francis Peron National Park
- The homestead (Hot Tub)
- Steep Point
- Past the Overlander road house
Pick up and drop off times?
Shark Bay Car Hire do not offer half day or 24 hour period car hires and our bookings are based on a calendar day.
Our Calendar day starts at 8.00am and ends at 5.00pm
Does every driver have to be there on pick up of the vehicle?
Yes, we will need to sight all drivers actual, full, valid driver’s licence (photocopies are not accepted) and all drivers are required to sign the rental agreement.
Can I pick up or drop off at the airport?
Yes, we deliver cars to and from the Monkey Mia/Shark Bay Airport for a relocation fee of $25 each way.
Where is your desk located at the airport?
Once you step of the plane, you will find Shark Bay Car Hires desk located to the left of the counter and someone will be there waiting for you.
Can I pick up or drop off at Monkey Mia?
Yes, we deliver cars to and from Monkey Mia Resort for a relocation fee of $30 each way.
Can I pick up or drop off at Denham?
Yes, if you are staying in Denham we will deliver and collect your vehicle from your accommodation at no extra cost.
Do I have to return the vehicle fully fuelled?
Yes, you are required to return your hire vehicle fully fuelled on drop off.
You will be charged the pump price plus a $100 service fee if the car is not returned fully fuelled.
What else do we need to do prior to dropping the vehicle off?
Please ensure that you have taken any rubbish away, shake sand out of the floor mats. SBCH DOES NOT require you to clean the outside of the Vehicle when used in accordance with the terms and conditions of hire.
Will we be charged a cleaning fee?
Vehicles returned in poor condition will attract an additional cleaning charge at the applicable rate of $100 per hour for services rendered. Any remains of biriada clay or evidence of off road driving without express written approval from SBCH will attract an automatic cleaning charge of $500.
What are your opening hours?
OFFICE OPENING TIMES
|Monday||8.00am – 5:00pm|
|Tuesday||8.00am – 5:00pm|
|Wednesday||8.00am – 5:00pm|
|Thursday||8.00am – 5:00pm|
|Friday||8.00am – 5:00pm|
|Saturday||8.00am – 12.00pm|
The above times do not affect your pre-arranged hire
Shark Bay Car Hire can be met with by appointment only and all hires will be dropped off to you at your chosen location. SBCH does not have a depot open to the public.
SBCH is in Western Australia. WA is 2 hours behind the East of Australia during Winter months and then 3 hours behind during the Summer Months. Calls made outside of our opening times will not be answered.
Most international customers can call during these business hours.
OUR TOP 10 ACCOMMODATION RECOMMENDATIONS IN SHARK BAY
- Monkey Mia Dolphin Resort – located 27klm from Denham
- Oceanside Villages
- Denham Seaside Caravan Park
- Ray white holiday homes
- Shark Bay Seafront Apartments
- Shark Bay Caravan Park
- Shark Bay Hotel
- Wild sight Villas and Apartments
- On the Deck
OUR TOP TOUR GUIDE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE FRANCIS PERON NATIONAL PARK
- Shark Bay Coastal Tours
- Ocean Park 4wd tours
- Wula Gura Nyinda
Is there a supermarket in Shark Bay?
Yes, we have an IGA and Shark Bay Supermarket, open 7am – 7pm everyday
Is there a bottle shop in Shark Bay?
Yes, there are 2. Bottle Mart located at The Heritage and the Shark Bay Hotel bottle shop.
Is there a visitors centre in Shark Bay?
Yes, located on knight Terrace on the foreshore.
Is there phone reception in Shark Bay?
Telstra & Optus are the 2 main service providers in Shark Bay. You may not get reception with other providers.
What are the yearly Temperatures in Shark Bay?
When are the windiest Months in Shark Bay?